One of the chief responsibilities of any homeowner during the fall season is to consider what needs to be done in order to make sure their home is ready to brave the winter season. Now, this is in an ideal world—often, fall is a busy time for other reasons and more often than not, things fall under the radar, only to be forgotten about heading into the busy winter season. HVAC maintenance is, unfortunately, one of these things.
Most homeowners don’t remember their duties to their HVAC system until it’s too late and winter is in full swing. Frequently, this culminates in a need for HVAC repairs in Grand Rapids, MN, which can be costly, invasive and, if the weather is heavily inclement, dangerous for you and your family!
If you’re just now remembering to service your HVAC system, don’t fret—there are a few last minute things you can do to minimize the number of potential issues you might encounter over the winter season and maximize output to keep you comfortable and cozy during this intense season:
- Replace the furnace filter before you start to rely on your furnace all day, every day! This will keep debris out of your system and ensure it’s not subject to contaminants that might hinder its operation or worse, produce air that’s of a sub-par quality. Filters can be bought at virtually any hardware store and replaced in seconds.
- Having your duct cleaned might seem invasive, but a professional can accomplish the task in an afternoon, leaving you with the promise of cleaner air throughout your days. This will reduce the number of particles in your air, which means a cleaner system overall that’s less likely to see issues.
- Have the flame sensor and igniter in your furnace checked and/or replaced. This will prevent a myriad of common issues that can result from these volatile parts, including over and under heating.
- Make sure all moving parts of your furnace are properly lubricated, including fans and belts. This will prevent friction and wear that could otherwise leave you with a furnace that’s not fully functional.
- Check to make sure your thermostat is synced up with your furnace and the rest of your HVAC system. Discrepancies between the two can have you paying for heating that’s not needed or worse, leave you lacking heat when you need it most!
Of course, the best thing to do if you find that you’ve accidently passed over HVAC maintenance is to call a contractor to come out and inspect your furnace before winter. A simple tune up costs nearly nothing and will save you the trouble of having to deal with extensive (and costly) HVAC repair in Grand Rapids, MN down the line.
It’s never too late to be proactive—especially when it comes to HVAC. Take a moment to try the five things listed above and be vigilant about the condition of your home’s critical systems as winter rears its ugly head.