What’s in your toolbox? Do you have the basic essentials every homeowner needs for simple plumbing repairs? The following list includes supplies you need to make easy DIY repairs. While some problems require the expertise of a plumbing contractor in Grand Rapids, MN, having these on hand will help you tackle minor issues. Stock your home with:
- Plunger: This is the most basic of plumbing tools that should be present in every home. Easily unclog your toilet in just a few seconds. You don’t want to be without at least one of these.
- Basin wrench: Ever wonder how plumbers get to those hard-to-reach places under the sink? A basin wrench is designed for these work spaces. A long handle allows for extra reach.
- Pipe wrench: This heavy-duty tool is available in many sizes. It is perfect for gripping and turning pipes. You’ll feel like a pro with this tool of the trade.
- Locking pliers: These can be even more useful than an adjustable wrench, but perform the same tasks. Plumbing jobs often require a tight grip that these will supply.
- Needle-nose pliers: Sometimes you need these for tight plumbing spots or detail work. Even the tiniest of plumbers’ hands are often too big for some jobs. These will help you grasp the smallest parts.
- Plumbers tape: When you complete a plumbing repair, use plumbers tape to ensure a good seal on threaded pipes. Also known as Teflon tape, a roll of this stuff in your toolbox is good to have handy for showerhead and faucet repairs.
- Plumbers putty: Also used to create solid water-resistant seals, plumbers putty is used on un-pressured joints such as sink drains. Fairly inexpensive, it’s definitely worth the cost to secure pipes and prevent leaks.
- Hacksaw: For some projects, you’ll need to cut through metal pipes, nuts and bolts, or plastic pipe. This versatile tool cuts through metal and plastic. Be sure to keep extra blades on hand, too.
- Metal file: After cutting metal pipes, you’ll need to remove burrs and smooth out edges. Your handy metal file will help polish off your project. Keep both a half-round and a rat-tail file on hand.
- Caulk and caulk gun: Caulking is almost always needed when working on projects that involve water. This is needed when repairing shower seams, installing sinks and taking on many other kitchen and bathroom projects.
If you need plumbing repairs, would like to upgrade your fixtures, or have any questions about plumbing issues, it’s always a good idea to call a plumbing contractor in Grand Rapids, MN. Experienced professionals can assist you with knowledge and skill to handle any plumbing problem.
If you are a handy DIY homeowner, the above tools can help you solve minor issues. However, be careful not to dig into a project that would be better handled by a contractor. It’s okay to ask for help. At Rapids Plumbing & Heating Inc, we are happy to answer your questions and solve all your plumbing issues for you. Contact us today.