What’s on your spring cleaning checklist this year? Have you included maintenance checks for the major systems of your home? You should. A few simple tasks could save you money by preventing future repairs, increasing efficiency and extending the longevity of your systems. Use the following checklist from your plumbers in Grand Rapids, MN to prep your plumbing for the season:
- Check for leaks: Are any of your faucets dripping or leaking? This issue is more than a late-night annoyance. These drips waste a lot more water than you think, creating unnecessarily high utility bills. The leaks can also ruin your fixtures over time, and they may generate mold growth. These issues can cause damage that requires more expensive repairs.
- Check your toilet: Leaky toilets pose threats similar to those of faucets. To see if your toilet has developed a leak, add a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. After half an hour, if the water in the bowl is colored, your toilet has a leak. Contact a plumber in Grand Rapids, MN to repair this issue right away.
- Check drains: Did you know soap, hair and dirt can eventually clog your drain? These items seem to wash away easily each day, but they can add up and wreak havoc on your plumbing. To avoid expensive repairs, install drain strainers. These inexpensive solutions could save you a lot of money as they prevent clogs.
- Check valves: How often do you use the shutoff valves in your home? If you’re like most people, your answer is “hardly ever.” That’s probably a good sign, but this lack of use can cause a buildup of rust and mineral deposits. To dislodge this debris and keep your valves free-flowing when you need them, rotate the supply valves off and back on again each spring.
- Check water heater: Sediments at the bottom of your water heater can lessen the unit’s efficiency and effectiveness. Remove these sediments by draining the water from your water heater each year.
- Check hoses: Your washing machine and dishwasher use drain hoses every time you run a load of laundry or dishes. These can eventually leak or break. If the leak is minor, it can waste water and increase your bills. If it is major, it can cause damage and increase repair costs. Check these hoses and replace if needed.
- Check traps: How often do you clean the lint trap in your washer and dryer? Clean these after each use to ensure optimal performance and prevent damage to the appliances and their surroundings.
- Check AC: To prep for warmer weather, have your air conditioner serviced. This will increase the unit’s performance, creating lower utility bills and a longer lifespan for the system.
Would you like additional information on how to save money this season? Contact your professional plumbers in Grand Rapids, MN. The experts at Rapids Plumbing & Heating Inc. are ready to answer any questions and partner with you to provide the best plumbing solutions for your property.