If everything goes according to plan, air conditioning units should last anywhere from 15 to 20 years before needing to be replaced. However, that’s assuming you properly care for your unit and schedule AC unit maintenance in Grand Rapids, MN each spring or summer. This post will teach you what you need to know about AC maintenance and replacement.
How to extend the life of your AC
By following the tips below, you can ensure your unit lasts for 15 years or longer:
- Schedule preventative maintenance: The top way to prolong your unit’s lifespan and avoid midseason breakdowns is by scheduling AC unit maintenance in Grand Rapids, MN. During this tune-up, your HVAC technician will clean and inspect your entire unit. He can repair or replace any components before they suddenly stop working in the middle of the summer.
- Change the filter: Swapping out the air filter on your unit is something you can do without the help of a pro. Depending on the type of filter you have and the manufacturer’s recommendations, it should be changed every 30 to 60 days.
- Keep debris away: Any debris near an AC unit can spell trouble. Any weeds, bushes or other debris should be kept at least two feet away from the outdoor unit to ensure proper airflow.
- Call for repairs right away: Even with seasonal maintenance, breakdowns can still occur. If that’s the case, be sure to call a professional to make those repairs as soon as possible. Waiting around can lead to further damage and a more expensive repair bill.
Is it time for AC replacement?
With summer on the horizon, now is a good time to invest in a new air conditioner. Here are a few signs that it’s time for AC replacement in Grand Rapids, MN:
- Poor performance: As your air conditioner ages, you may notice that the airflow is weaker or the air it produces is a bit warmer than it should be. Though this can be a sign that it’s time for repairs, you may want to consider replacing the unit if it’s getting up there in years.
- Frequent breakdowns: Going through the summer with a broken AC can be miserable, and constantly calling your HVAC technician to make repairs is draining on your wallet. If you’re sick of living with a broken unit and paying for repairs, it’s time to upgrade to a new AC that will function more reliably.
- Rising energy costs: Air conditioners tend to get less energy efficient as they age. It might be gradual, but you may notice that your energy bill gets a bit more expensive each month. You can stop overpaying by upgrading to a new energy-efficient unit. Though a new AC isn’t cheap, your monthly energy savings will make up for the cost over time.
Whether you need AC replacement in Grand Rapids, MN or a simple tune-up, be sure to call the experts at Rapids Plumbing & Heating Inc. We have years of experience when it comes to servicing and installing all sorts of air conditioning units.