Hopefully, you had your AC serviced in the spring to ensure proper functionality throughout the summer. If not, your AC could be in danger of breaking down. Keep reading to learn a few common indicators that your AC is on its way out and you need HVAC repair in Grand Rapids, MN:
- Warm air: The top indicator that your AC is breaking down is warm air coming through the vents. Before you panic and call the HVAC company, double-check to ensure your thermostat is set to cooling mode. If it is, call a pro right away. The issue probably has to do with the compressor, and the problem could get worse the longer you wait to take action.
- Weak airflow: Having some air come from the vents is better than none at all. However, poor airflow won’t keep your family cool during the dog days of summer. When homes have weak airflow, it’s commonly associated with a clogged air filter or a broken motor. Be sure to change your air filter every couple months to keep airflow strong!
- Frequent cycling: Air conditioners go through routine cooling cycles regardless of the temperature. Although this cycling process occurs more frequently on hot days, you shouldn’t notice the system constantly cycling on and off. If that’s happening, call for AC repair in Grand Rapids, MN. Your technician may be able to solve the problem, but it might also be a sign that it’s time for a new unit.
- High humidity: You can expect to deal with humid conditions outside in the middle of the summer, but the inside of your home shouldn’t be hot and sticky, too. High indoor humidity levels indicate that your AC needs to be recalibrated. If a quick repair doesn’t do the trick, consider investing in a whole-home dehumidifier to address the issue.
- Water leaks: A leak somewhere in the house is typically handled by a plumbing contractor, but if the water is leaking out of your AC or pooling around it, you’ll need to call a technician for HVAC repair in Grand Rapids, MN. We recommend shutting off your system as soon as you spot a leak, as all of that water could damage other parts of your home.
- Bad smells: A mold or mildew smell throughout the house could be an indication that there’s a problem with your AC. An HVAC technician can clean out your system to eliminate the smell. Since your technician cleans your entire system during his annual maintenance visit, this problem is avoidable. Just be sure to schedule maintenance each spring!
- Loud noises: An AC usually makes a slight humming noise while it’s running. However, you should never hear rattling, buzzing or grinding sounds while it’s on. Rattling and buzzing indicate a loose component, while a grinding noise typically means something more serious is going on. Call your HVAC team right away to diagnose and repair the problem.
Choose our experts for all of your HVAC needs
When it comes to AC repair in Grand Rapids, MN, nobody beats the team at Rapids Plumbing & Heating Inc. In addition to tackling all of your repair needs, we also inspect and maintain all types of air conditioners. Give us a call today to see what we can do for you!