Winter is still a few months away, but that doesn’t mean it’s too early to start getting your furnace ready. Waiting until it starts getting cold to prepare your furnace can leave you with a freezing-cold home and difficulty scheduling furnace contractors during the busy season. Make sure that you’re prepared for anything the winter months have in store with some simple tips for furnace maintenance in Grand Rapids, MN.
Here are some of the best tips from the pros for preparing your furnace for the winter:
- Test your furnace: Test your furnace by setting your thermostat to a temperature that’s a bit warmer than the temperature in your home. You should hear your furnace turn on within a couple minutes. If it doesn’t turn on, it’s likely there’s something wrong with your furnace’s wiring and connections. If the connections aren’t to blame, the issue might be with your heat pump, fan or another component in your system. Regardless of the source of the problem, it’s a good idea to contact a professional who specializes in furnace repair in Grand Rapids, MN to get to the bottom of the issue.
- Change your filters: One of the most important parts of furnace maintenance is regular filter changes. Changing your furnace filter regularly is the best way to ensure your system continues to operate as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Check your ignitor and pilot light: Sometimes, pilot lights and ignitors won’t operate properly if they become dirty or covered with grime and debris. Oftentimes, simply wiping off the ignitor or clearing debris away from the pilot light is all it takes to get your furnace working again. Test the ignitor and call an HVAC contractor if your furnace won’t light or ignite.
- Inspect safety features: Safety is a very important consideration for effective furnace operation. It’s important to check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms to make sure they’re working properly. Replace batteries as necessary, and update your detectors if they are old, outdated or malfunctioning.
- Get help from an HVAC contractor: There are a lot of things homeowners can do on their own to maintain and repair an HVAC system, but many projects should really be left to a professional. When it comes to HVAC maintenance, it’s usually best to work with an expert. A professional contractor has the expertise and resources necessary to maximize the efficiency and performance of your furnace to keep you as comfortable as possible during the winter months, without causing your energy costs to skyrocket.
Get furnace maintenance in Grand Rapids, MN
For professional help with furnace maintenance, repairs and service, reach out to Rapids Plumbing & Heating Inc. Since 1982, our team has been dedicated to providing comprehensive HVAC services, including maintenance and repairs. Whether you’re looking for help getting your furnace up and running in time for winter or you’re interested in having a new system installed, our team is here to assist you. Give us a call today to schedule a service appointment.