The coldest days are starting soon, and you do not want to be caught with a malfunctioning heater. Heating repair services are in high demand in the dead of winter, and if your furnace fails, you may have to wait for an appointment. So, if you find your heater is not working as well as before, it pays to act fast. Here are six signs that you need furnace repair in Grand Rapids, MN:
- Power bill spike: Heating bills rise in winter anyway, but major spikes are cause for concern. Unless there was a severe cold snap one month, your heating bills should remain steady, with no major increases or decreases. When you see a spike, that shows your furnace is running inefficiently and may suffer from malfunctions. Fixing the furnace should solve this issue.
- Yellow burner flame: If you have a gas furnace, the flame should be blue. When it turns yellow, that often indicates a carbon monoxide leak, which is both inefficient and dangerous. Carbon monoxide is a metabolic poison, so the yellow flame needs to be addressed immediately. This is especially true if you or your household members suffer inexplicable flu-like symptoms, dizziness or fatigue.
- Constant thermostat adjustments: Struggling furnaces cannot maintain a constant temperature. The result is the need to constantly adjust the thermostat. Normally, your thermostat should be set and then you can forget about it, but if you keep checking it to make sure it activates, there is likely a problem with the furnace. This is especially the case when you notice some rooms are warmer than others, or you find cold spots in warm rooms.
- Short cycling: When your furnace activates intermittently, that is called short cycling. Sometimes, this is a shortcoming with the thermostat, and that is easily repaired or replaced. However, short cycling also occurs when the heat exchanger overheats, and that will shut down the system, leading to chilly days and nights.
- Bad indoor air quality: Hazy or stuffy homes are not fun to live in, especially when winter hits and reduces opportunities for outdoor activities. This can escalate to respiratory illnesses in your family and a constant exchange of allergens. Before you call in a technician, try replacing your furnace filter first. Sometimes a dirty or damaged filter is the sole cause of bad indoor air quality. But if that fails to work, call for heating services.
- Weird noises: Most furnaces make noise, but when you hear something different than usual, it may indicate a problem. Rattling, banging and creaking are common developments, especially with older furnaces, but when these noises become more frequent or change, it is likely time for a checkup. If you do not remember the last time your furnace was replaced, you may need to start considering that option. A typical life expectancy for a heating system is 15 to 25 years, and if your system is beyond that, consider upgrading to a more efficient and reliable furnace.
Rapids Plumbing & Heating Inc. offers heating repair services in Grand Rapids, MN. We also offer free estimates before we start furnace repair. Call us today to schedule an appointment.